What is Self-Determination?
In October of 2013, Governor Edmund G. Brown Jr. signed into law the Self-Determination Program, which will provide consumers and their families with more freedom, control, and responsibility in choosing services and supports to help them meet objectives in their Individual Program Plan.
Update: March 20, 2018
On March 13, 2018, the Department of Developmental Services (DDS) announced that the Department of Health Care Services has submitted the Waiver Application for Self-Determination to Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS). The announcement was made at the Statewide Advisory Committee for the Self-Determination Program. This means that CMS has 90 days from the date of submission to take action to either approve the application, deny the application, or request additional clarification. DDS is hopeful that the application will be approved because of all the work that’s been done up front to prepare CMS for the formal submission and to respond to their questions and concerns. Once the federal funding is approved, all Regional Centers will implement the program. If you have attended an informational meeting hosted by RCOC, your name has been submitted to DDS for consideration. You can continue to verify your name or the name of your family member by entering the UCI (Unique Client Identifier) number on the DDS website here.
Attend an Informational Meeting
Please join us for an informational meeting to learn more about the Self-Determination Program. By attending this informational meeting, you may request that RCOC submit your name to the Department of Developmental Services (DDS) for the lottery when the Self-Determination Program becomes available.
There is an informational meeting scheduled for Monday, April 23, 2018 from 6:30 PM until 8:00 PM and Tuesday, May 22, 2018 from 12:00 PM until 1:30 PM. Both meetings will be held at the Regional Center of Orange County located at 1525 N. Tustin Ave., Santa Ana, California 92705. For more detailed information, please click on the flyers below.
Confirm if my name is in the DDS Lottery List
You can check if your name has been received by DDS for the Self-Determination lottery by entering your UCI (Unique Client Identifier) number on the DDS website. Your UCI number can be found on RCOC documents or by calling your Service Coordinator. If you have attended an informational meeting and your name is not on the DDS lottery list, please contact the organizer of the informational meeting you attended.
Get involved in the Local Advisory Committee
Join our email list
As required by law, each regional center must establish a Local Volunteer Advisory Committee to ensure effective implementation of the Self-Determination Program and facilitate the sharing of best practices and training materials. Members of these committees are appointed by the regional center and the Regional Office of the State Council on Developmental Disabilities (SCDD). The committee members must include consumers, family members, the regional center clients’ rights advocate, other advocates and community leaders, and must reflect the multicultural diversity and geographic profile of the catchment area.
The Local Advisory Committee meets the first Monday of the month (unless there is a holiday) at 6:30 PM at the Regional Center of Orange County, 1525 North Tustin Avenue, Santa Ana, CA 92702.
- Agenda for Upcoming Meeting: May 7, 2018 at 6:30 PM
- Meet our Committee Members
- A Handy Guide to the Bagley-Keene Open Meeting Act
- Meeting Manners
- February 2018 Committee Minutes
- January 2018 Committee Minutes
- December 2017 Committee Minutes
- November 2017 Committee Minutes
- October 2017 Committee Minutes
- March 2017 Committee Minutes
- July 2016 Committee Minutes
- May 2016 Committee Minutes
- April 2016 Committee Minutes
- January 2016 Committee Minutes
- November 2015 Committee Minutes
- October 2015 Committee Minutes
- June 2015 Committee Minutes
Learn More about Self-Determination
- Consumer Guide and Highlights on Self-Determination Program
- Message from Santi Rogers, Director of the Department of Developmental Services
- SB 468 Statewide Self-Determination Program
- WIC 4685.8 Self-Determination Program Responsibilities Chart
- Self-Determination Program Enrollment
- Department of Developmental Services Informational PowerPoint presentation – September 2017
- Department of Developmental Services Informational PowerPoint presentation – September 2017 (Spanish)
- Department of Developmental Services – Information and Resources – August/September 2017
- Frequently Asked Questions
Do you have a question about Self-Determination or RCOC’s Self-Determination Program? Send us a message!