What is Self-Determination?
In October 2013, Governor Edmund G. Brown Jr. signed into law the Self-Determination Program, which provides individuals and their families more freedom, control, and responsibility in choosing services and supports to help them meet objectives in their Individual Program Plan.
To learn more about the Self-Determination Program, you can visit the Department of Developmental Services (DDS) website here or watch the short video below.
You can access this video in other languages here .
For the most recent Self-Determination Program implementation updates and directives from DDS, please click here .
How do I enroll in Self-Determination?
If you are interested in the Self-Determination Program, the Orientation Training is a required first step. You have two options for the Orientation (you only need to complete one):
You can complete the RCOC online training at your own pace. Click on the website below to create an account and start the Orientation: Click Here to Create an Account for the Online Orientation Training
**If you need assistance creating an accounting and enrolling in Orientation, email firstname.lastname@example.org
State Council on Developmental Disabilities (SCDD) offers Orientation via Zoom with a live trainer. You can view their training calendar to register for a training. Please visit their website at: https://scdd.ca.gov/sdp-orientation/
Local Advisory Committee
As required by law, each regional center must establish a Local Volunteer Advisory Committee to ensure the effective implementation of the Self-Determination Program and facilitate the sharing of best practices and training materials. Members of these committees are appointed by the regional center and the Regional Office of the State Council on Developmental Disabilities (SCDD). The committee members must include individuals served by the regional center, family members, the regional center clients’ rights advocate, other advocates, and community leaders. It must also reflect the multicultural diversity and geographic profile of the catchment area.Meeting minutes (click to expand)
- February 27,2023 Committee Minutes
- December 12, 2022 Committee Minutes
- October 24, 2022 Committee Minutes
- September 12, 2022 Committee Minutes
- August 8, 2022 Committee Minutes
- June 27, 2022 Committee Minutes
- March 21, 2022 Committee Minutes
- March 7, 2022 Committee Minutes
- February 7, 2022 Committee Minutes
- December 13, 2021 Committee Minutes
- September 27, 2021 Committee Minutes
- August 2, 2021 Committee Minutes
- June 28, 2021 Committee Minutes
- April 12, 2021 Committee Minutes
- February 18, 2021 Committee Minutes
- February 1, 2021 Committee Minutes
- November 30, 2020 Committee Minutes
- September 21, 2020 Committee Minutes
- August 3, 2020 Committee Minutes
- July 6, 2020 Committee Minutes
- June 8, 2020 Committee Minutes
- February 24, 2020 Committee Minutes
- December 16, 2019 Committee Minutes
- November 18, 2019 Committee Minutes
- September, 9, 2019 Committee Minutes
- June 24, 2019 Committee Minutes
- May 13, 2019 Committee Minutes
- March 19, 2019 Committee Minutes
- December 3, 2018 Committee Minutes
- October 29, 2018 Committee Minutes
- October 2018 Committee Minutes
- August 2018 Committee Minutes
- June 2018 Committee Minutes
- May 2018 Committee Minutes
- March 2018 Committee Minutes
- February 2018 Committee Minutes
- January 2018 Committee Minutes
- December 2017 Committee Minutes
- November 2017 Committee Minutes
- October 2017 Committee Minutes
- March 2017 Committee Minutes
- July 2016 Committee Minutes
- May 2016 Committee Minutes
- April 2016 Committee Minutes
- January 2016 Committee Minutes
- November 2015 Committee Minutes
- October 2015 Committee Minutes
- June 2015 Committee Minutes
In the Self-Determination Program, participants may choose to work with an Independent Facilitator who can support them in the program. The Independent Facilitator can assist participants by: leading the person-centered planning process, identifying needs, or locating services. Participants in the Self-Determination Program may choose to work with an Independent Facilitator, but it is not required. If the participant chooses to work with an Independent Facilitator, that person is required to receive training in the principles of self-determination, the person-centered planning process, and other responsibilities such as locating resources and making informed decisions. For more information, you can view the DDS website on Independent Facilitators.
If you are interested in working with an Independent Facilitator to help you transition into SDP, the cost of the pre-enrollment supports from an Independent Facilitator can be funded by the regional center through Self-Directed (SD) Supports (Service Code 099). Pre-Enrollment Transition Supports is available through Self-Directed Supports (Service Code 099). Click here to review DDS Directive regarding Initial Person-Centered Plan and Pre-Enrollment Transition Supports Guidance.
How to Find an Independent Facilitator
The California Self-Determination Program Network Manages a website to connect people to Independent Facilitators and services providers. Click here to find an Independent Facilitator.
How to Become a Vendor for Self-Directed (SD) Supports
If you are an Independent Facilitator or Financial Management Services (FMS) agency, RCOC invites you to become vendored for Self-Directed (SD) Supports. A Vendorization Packet is required for review. For more information, please refer to the DDS Program Directive from March 2023. Click here for list of Program Directives.
Questions can be directed to email@example.com or (714) 796-5181.
How Do I Become an Independent Facilitator
If you are interested in becoming an Independent Facilitator, State Council on Developmental Disabilities (SCDD) offers free online training you can take at your own pace. This training is offered in English, Spanish, and Vietnamese. Please note this training is an introductory training and resource. It is not an exhaustive training. Click Here to view the SCDD IF Webinar Flyer
The person-centered planning process is an essential component of Self-Determination. The video below is an hour and 5-minute presentation given on Person-Centered Planning. It was given on December 3, 2018, at the Self-Determination Local Advisory Committee Meeting. The presenters are Cristina Mercado, Person-Centered Thinking Coordinator at RCOC, and Tim Jin, Self-Advocate and Member of the Local Advisory Committee. The training includes person-centered concepts, principles, and materials used with permission from The Learning Community for Person-Centered Practices along with personal examples used with permission from all parties involved.
Do you have a question about Self-Determination or RCOC’s Self-Determination Program? Send us a message!