What is Self-Determination?
In October of 2013, Governor Edmund G. Brown Jr. signed into law the Self-Determination Program, which provides individuals and their families more freedom, control, and responsibility in choosing services and supports to help them meet objectives in their Individual Program Plan.
To learn more about the Self-Determination Program, you can visit the Department of Developmental Services (DDS) website here or watch the short video below.
You can access this video in other languages here .
For a list of Self-Determination Program implementation directives from DDS, please click here .
How do I enroll in Self-Determination?
If you are interested in the Self-Determination Program, the Orientation Training is a required first step. For more information on how to access this training, please click below:
Local Advisory Committee
As required by law, each regional center must establish a Local Volunteer Advisory Committee to ensure effective implementation of the Self-Determination Program and facilitate the sharing of best practices and training materials. Members of these committees are appointed by the regional center and the Regional Office of the State Council on Developmental Disabilities (SCDD). The committee members must include individuals served by the regional center, family members, the regional center clients’ rights advocate, other advocates and community leaders. It must also reflect the multicultural diversity and geographic profile of the catchment area.Meeting minutes (click to expand)
- August 8 , 2022 Committee Minutes
- June 27, 2022 Committee Minutes
- March 21, 2022 Committee Minutes
- March 7, 2022 Committee Minutes
- February 7, 2022 Committee Minutes
- December 13, 2021 Committee Minutes
- September 27, 2021 Committee Minutes
- August 2, 2021 Committee Minutes
- June 28, 2021 Committee Minutes
- April 12, 2021 Committee Minutes
- February 18, 2021 Committee Minutes
- February 1, 2021 Committee Minutes
- November 30, 2020 Committee Minutes
- September 21, 2020 Committee Minutes
- August 3, 2020 Committee Minutes
- July 6, 2020 Committee Minutes
- June 8, 2020 Committee Minutes
- February 24, 2020 Committee Minutes
- December 16, 2019 Committee Minutes
- November 18, 2019 Committee Minutes
- September, 9, 2019 Committee Minutes
- June 24, 2019 Committee Minutes
- May 13, 2019 Committee Minutes
- March 19, 2019 Committee Minutes
- December 3, 2018 Committee Minutes
- October 29, 2018 Committee Minutes
- October 2018 Committee Minutes
- August 2018 Committee Minutes
- June 2018 Committee Minutes
- May 2018 Committee Minutes
- March 2018 Committee Minutes
- February 2018 Committee Minutes
- January 2018 Committee Minutes
- December 2017 Committee Minutes
- November 2017 Committee Minutes
- October 2017 Committee Minutes
- March 2017 Committee Minutes
- July 2016 Committee Minutes
- May 2016 Committee Minutes
- April 2016 Committee Minutes
- January 2016 Committee Minutes
- November 2015 Committee Minutes
- October 2015 Committee Minutes
- June 2015 Committee Minutes
Independent Facilitator Training
In the Self-Determination Program, participants may choose to work with an Independent Facilitator who can support them in the program. The Independent Facilitator can assist participants by: leading the person-centered planning process, identifying needs, or locating services. Participants in the Self-Determination Program may choose to work with an Independent Facilitator, but it is not required. If the participant chooses to work with an Independent Facilitator, that person is required to receive training in the principles of self-determination, the person-centered planning process, and other responsibilities such as locating resources and making informed decisions. For more information, please click here to view the DDS directive on Independent Facilitators.
If you are interested in becoming an Independent Facilitator, State Council on Developmental Disabilities (SCDD) offers a free online training you can take at your own pace. This training is offered in English and Spanish.
Person Centered Planning
The person-centered planning process is an essential component in Self-Determination. The video below is an hour and 5 minute presentation given on Person Centered Planning. It was given on December 3, 2018 at the Self-Determination Local Advisory Committee Meeting. The presenters are Cristina Mercado, Person Centered Thinking Coordinator at RCOC and Tim Jin, Self-Advocate and Member of the Local Advisory Committee. The training includes person centered concepts, principles and materials used with permission from The Learning Community for Person Centered Practices along with personal examples used with permission from all parties involved.
You can find more resources on person-centered planning here.
Do you have a question about Self-Determination or RCOC’s Self-Determination Program? Send us a message!